Insulation is a barrier material to resist/reduce substance (water, vapor, etc. ) /energy (sound, heat, electric, etc.) to transfer from one side to another.
Heat/ Thermal Insulation is a barrier material to resist / block / reflect the heat energy (either one or more of the Conduction, Convection or Radiation) to transfer from one side to another.
Reflective Insulation is one of the Heat/Thermal Insulation to reflect Radiation Heat (Radiant Heat) transfer from one side to another due to the reflective surface (or low emittance).
There are a lot of definitions about “Thermal/Heat Insulation” and the common misinterpretation of “Thermal/Heat Insulation” = “Bulk/Mass/Batt Insulation” which is actually uses to resist Conduction Heat Transfer with certain “R-Value”.
As such Materials reflecting Radiant Heat with negligible “R-Value” should also be classified as “Thermal/ Heat Insulation”.
Thus Reflective Insulation = Radiant Barrier
- Very effective in warmer climates
- No change in thermal performance over time due to compaction, disintegration or moisture absorption
- Thin sheets takes up less room than bulk insulation
- Can act as a vapor barriers
- Will not mold or mildew
- Radon retarder, will limit radon penetration through the floor